On this day (7th December) WW1 Shipwreckollections
SS Earl of Elgin (1909-1917)
British merchant vessel, SS Earl of Elgin, was built in 1909 by Russell & Co. Ltd., Greenock, and at the time of her loss, the defensively-armed steamer was owned by Marshall & Dobbie, Glasgow.
On 7 December 1917, the Earl of Elgin was travelling on a voyage from London to Dublin when she was torpedoed and sunk by a German U-boat. The steamer of 4,448 tonnes was 10 miles W 1/2 S from Carnarvon Bay Light Vessel.
Sadly, 18 people on board lost their lives.
The Shipwrecked Mariners’ Society has offered assistance for fishermen and mariners in need since 1839. The maritime charity provides help for mariners, retired seafarers and their dependants, through financial help including welfare grants, as well as assistance and support.
Photo credit: wrecksite.eu