On this day (16th May) WW1 Shipwreckollections
SS Tagona (1908-1918)
SS Tagona was a defensively-armed merchant steamer of 2,004 tonnes built in 1908 by A McMillan & Son, Dumbarton. In 1912 she was purchased by the Canadian Lake Transportation Co., Toronto and at the time of her loss, she was owned by Canadian Lake Tptn Co. Ltd., Glasgow.
On 16 May 1918, the Tagona was was torpedoed by a German U-boat when 5 miles WSW of Trevose Head on passage from Bilbao to Glasgow with a cargo of iron ore.
Sadly, the Captain and seven of the crew were lost as a result.
The Shipwrecked Mariners’ Society has offered assistance for fishermen and mariners in need since 1839. The maritime charity provides help for mariners, retired seafarers and their dependants, through financial help including welfare grants, as well as assistance and support.
Photo credit: wrecksite.eu