On this day (14th November) WW1 Shipwreckollections
SS Prophet (1911-1917)
SS Prophet was a British cargo ship built in 1911 by the Tyne Iron Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Willington. At the time of her loss a century ago, the Prophet was owned by John Gaff & Co., Glasgow.
On 14 November 1917, the Prophet, a steamer of 3,230 tonnes, was on a voyage from Barry to Mudros with a cargo of coal and government stores when she was torpedoed by a German U-boat under the command of Wilhelm Marschall. At the time, the British ship was three miles SE of Antikythera.
Thankfully, there were no casualties.
The Shipwrecked Mariners’ Society has offered assistance for fishermen and mariners in need since 1839. The maritime charity provides help for mariners, retired seafarers and their dependants, through financial help including welfare grants, as well as assistance and support.
Photo credit: wrecksite.eu