On this day (12th June) WW1 Shipwreckollections
SS Penhallow (1913-1918)
British cargo vessel SS Penhallow was built in 1913 by William Gray & Co. Ltd., West Hartlepool and was owned at the time of her loss five years later by the Chellew Navigation Co., Cardiff.
On 12 June 1918, the Penhallow was travelling on a voyage from Buenos Aires to Italy with a cargo of grain when she was torpedoed and sunk by a German U-boat under the command of Wolfgang Steinbauer. At the time of the attack, the British steamer of 4,318 tonnes was located 52 miles NxW of Cape Caxine, Algeria.
Sadly, one person lost their life as a result.
The Shipwrecked Mariners’ Society has offered assistance for fishermen and mariners in need since 1839. The maritime charity provides help for mariners, retired seafarers and their dependants, through financial help including welfare grants, as well as assistance and support.
Photo credit: wrecksite.eu