Society launches ninth annual photography competition!
The Shipwrecked Mariners’ Society is once again on the lookout for photographers to submit their favourite images of the sea, for its ninth annual competition honouring the UK’s proud maritime heritage.
Launched to mark the charity’s Seafarers Support Week (20-26 June), the competition encourages photographers of all abilities to submit images that capture the UK’s unique relationship with the sea, including its merchant ships, fishermen, coasts, harbours and ports.
With the Covid-19 pandemic continuing to see restrictions imposed for much of the year, the Society is once again encouraging individuals to look back through their photo albums and submit images old and new, with the overall winner receiving a £500 photographic equipment voucher.
In addition to the dedicated entry submission form on the Society’s website, entrants can now also submit photos through its newly-launched Instagram channel (@ShipwreckedMariners) by using the hashtag #SMSPhotoComp2021.
The competition will once again be judged by a prestigious panel of experts, with Online Picture Editor at The Telegraph, Neil Stevenson joining the existing judging panel of former Sunday Times Picture Editor, Ray Wells, Picture Editor of the i, Sophie Batterbury and the Chief Executive of the Shipwrecked Mariners’ Society, Capt. Justin Osmond RN.
On the launch of the competition, Captain Justin Osmond RN, said: “The last year has been a tough time for us all and especially for the key workers within the maritime industry who have kept the country afloat with much needed imports from overseas.
“Our industry often suffers from being out of sight and out of mind, but it truly is essential in keeping us going as an island nation and enabling us to go about our daily lives.
“The photography competition allows us to showcase and celebrate our relationship with the sea and having received a record-breaking number of entries last year, we are more excited than ever to see everyone’s fantastic and unique images over the course of this summer.”
The Shipwrecked Mariners’ Society supports fishermen, merchant mariners and their dependants who are suffering financial hardship, whether due to accident, ill health, unemployment or in retirement after a life spent working at sea. In 2020, a £1 million Covid response fund was set up by the Society, to directly help those in the maritime community who were impacted by the pandemic.
To enter the competition, individuals can submit their photographs through the dedicated form at https://shipwreckedmariners.org.uk/photography-competition-2021/ before the deadline on 31 August 2021. Photographers can also enter their pictures via email, post or on the Society’s new Instagram channel (@ShipwreckedMariners) using the hashtag #SMSPhotoComp2021.
- The closing date for entries is 23:59 on 31 August 2021
- Entrants must state whether they are a professional or amateur photographer upon entry
- All images submitted must be taken within current UK COVID-19 government guidelines
- By entering the competition, you give permission for your images to be recreated by the Charity, competition sponsors and any media partner free of charge
- This competition is open to residents of the UK, Channel Islands, Isle of Man and Republic of Ireland aged 16 years or over
- It is a condition of entry that all rules are accepted as final and that the competitor agrees to abide by these rules. The decision of the judges is final. Submission of an entry will be taken to mean acceptance of these terms and conditions
- All entries must be received by the advertised closing time and date
- Entries should be submitted through the entry form on the Shipwrecked Mariners’ Society website www.shipwreckedmariners.org.uk, via email ShipwreckedFishermen@definitionagency.com or through the Shipwrecked Mariners’ Society Instagram page. Entrants should include their own name, address and telephone number. Postal entries may be sent to Definition Agency, 1 Park Row, LS1 5HN.
- All images submitted must be the work of the individual submitting them. It is the responsibility of each entrant to ensure that any images they submit have been taken with the permission of the subject and do not infringe the copyright of any third party or any laws. By submitting images, entrants confirm that the photograph they are submitting is their own work and that they own the copyright to it
- Copyright in all images submitted for this competition remains with the respective entrants. However, in consideration of their providing them for the Competition, each entrant grants a worldwide, irrevocable, perpetual licence to the Shipwrecked Mariners’ Society and sponsors of the competition to feature any or all of the submitted images in any of their publications, their websites and/or in any promotional material connected to this competition.
- Late entries will not be accepted. No responsibility can be accepted for lost entries and proof of transmission will not be accepted as proof of receipt
- The winning entry will be that which is judged to be the most visually appealing, original and self-explanatory. The winner will be notified within three weeks of the closing date of the competition
- The winners will be asked to take part in publicity
- The winners’ name and hometown may be used for the Charity’s publicity purposes
- All prizes are non-transferable and there are no cash alternatives