On this day (13th June) – WW2 Shipwreckollections
MV Pelayo (1927-1942)
The MV Pelayo was built in 1927 by Harland & Wolff Ltd. and owned by MacAndrew Robert & Co.
The British cargo motor vessel which weighed 1,346 tonnes, was captained by Capt. R Hughes Williams.
On 10 June, the vessel was travelling from Gibraltar to Swansea carrying a cargo of 755 tonnes of government stores and scrap iron.
On 15 June 1942, the U-552, commanded by Erich Topp, fired a spread of two torpedoes at two overlapping freighters in convoy HG-84 about 400 miles west of Corunna, Spain. The Pelayo was sunk and more than 15 men were lost out of a crew of 36.
The Shipwrecked Mariners’ Society provided the survivors with £101/16s worth of financial support – the equivalent of £4,628 today.
Photo credit: www.wrecksite.eu