On this day (10th August) WW1 Shipwreckollections
SS War Patrol (1917-1917)
Built in 1917 by the Detroit Shipbuilding Co. in Wyandotte, Michigan, SS War Patrol was a British cargo ship which was owned by The Shipping Controller, Liverpool, at the time of her loss a century ago.
On 10 August 1917, the steamer of 2,045 tonnes was travelling on a voyage from Barry to an unknown destination, with a cargo of coal, when she hit a mine from a German U-boat under the command of Erwin Waßner. War Patrol was one mile West from Penmarch, Brittany at the time of her sinking.
Sadly, 14 people on board lost their lives.
The Shipwrecked Mariners’ Society has offered assistance for fishermen and mariners in need since 1839. The maritime charity provides help for mariners, retired seafarers and their dependants, through financial help including welfare grants, as well as assistance and support.
Photo credit: wrecksite.eu