On this day (11th May) WW1 Shipwreckollections
SS Barrister (1915-1917)
British cargo vessel, SS Barrister, was built in 1915 by Charles Connell & Co. Ltd., Scotstoun. At the time of her loss a century ago, the steamer was owned by T & J. Harrison Ltd.
On 11 May 1917, the ship of 3,679 tonnes was en route from Pernambuco to Liverpool when she was torpedoed without warning, seven miles south of Mine Head, Waterford. The torpedo caused an explosion and ultimately the sinking of the vessel.
Thankfully, no lives were lost.
The Shipwrecked Mariners’ Society has offered assistance for fishermen and mariners in need since 1839. The maritime charity provides help for mariners, retired seafarers and their dependants, through financial help including welfare grants, as well as assistance and support.
Photo credit: wrecksite.eu